How to Install a Tennis Net:
Here are some pictures and helpful instructions on how to properly install a tennis net:
1. The first item of importance is to never use a sharp knife, razor blade, etc. to open the net box. Care should be given in opening the box to avoid cutting or damaging the net.
2. Once the box is open, undo the wrapping cord (again carefully) and roll out the net between the two net posts.
3. Attach one end of the net cable to the post cleat (the post cleat is the post opposite of the post with reel) and bring the cable over the top of the net post. At this point the net cable should be resting in the net post top pulley. After attaching the net cable loop to the cleat gently pull on the net cable and place the reel loop over the grab pin of the reel – also making sure to run the cable over the top of the post in line and on top of the pulley. Care should be given to never have the net top compressed between the net cable and the post top pulleys.
4. After you have connected the net to both net posts, crank the net post reel a couple of revolutions to slightly tighten the net. After you have complete this slight tightening it may be necessary to grab the net top (at the cleat end) and pull the net towards the cleat post. In this manner you will take some of the slack out of the net. Again, care should be given to never have the net top compressed between the net cable and the post top pulleys.
5. Once you have pulled the slack out of the net top walk back to the reel post and crank the reel until the net feels relatively tight. At this point, you may have to walk back to the cleat post and again pull some slack out of the net top. The clue to this, is that while you are cranking the net cable the net top starts to be pinched between the cable and pulley.
6. As long as the net is tight, and no part of the net is being pinched between the pulley and cable, your net is set snugly. As there is no convenient way to actually test the tautness of a net we recommend the net to be tight but not drum tight. Pulling a net too tight may damage the net posts or the net posts bases. The net needs to be tight, just not drum tight.
7. At this point you can install the center strap over the net, connected to the anchor pipe. The center of the net should measure 36″ from the court surface.