The Whalen Company has a long history of building tennis courts for people that love and care about tennis. We pride ourselves in being able to understand the needs and vision of our customers. The Whalen Company was established by Joe Whalen in 1957 in Jacksonville, FL which gives us over 60 years of experience.
Joe Whalen’s roots in tennis date back to playing junior tennis in Coral Gables, Fl to the point of winning the 1936 US Professional Championship. He later served as the Head Pro at tennis clubs such as The Ponte Vedra Club in Ponte Vedra Beach, Fl and tennis coach for the prestigeous Bolles School in Jacksonville, Fl. Since its inception, The Whalen Company has been owned and operated by tennis players.
Presently owned, since 1978, by Gary D. Whalen, The Whalen Company has never wavered from its tradition of building the best tennis courts possible. At no time, has the company strived to be the biggest or largest tennis court construction company. We have always kept our focus keenly on being the best tennis court construction company. Even though product share has never entered into our vision, product quality has never left our sight. If you search through the history of nationally ranked tennis facilities you will find names such as: Amelia Island Plantation, Sawgrass Country Club, Sea Pines Country Club, The Ponte Vedra Club – all built originally by The Whalen Company and all, at one time or the other, ranked in the Top 10 tennis facilities in the nation. But it doesn’t stop there……
We have also built facilities and courts for college programs that strive to meet and exceed NCAA standards in their tennis programs. In our history, we have built for the University of Florida, Florida State University, Jacksonville University, Gardner-Webb University, Brevard College, University of North Florida, UNC-Asheville and many many more. We have built for Disney World, The Governor’s Mansion in Tallahassee, FL, hundreds of country clubs , public facilities and resorts all across the south. “WE COURT THE SOUTH” is our motto and it has been well earned.